Library Pickup Service Is Now Available
Great news! Library Pickup Service is now available. After careful planning, our staff has created guidelines for this special service in accordance with Wisconsin’s Safer at Home order, and the City of Eau Claire’s risk management team has approved the plan. Our procedure is outlined below.
Library Pickup Service is intended only for people who feel well and are not experiencing and have not been exposed to people experiencing COVID-19 symptoms or other signs of illness.
You can now place holds, but only on items available in Eau Claire (items from other libraries are not currently available). This excludes kits and other equipment. Our on-hand stock may be limited due to extended due dates, lack of returns, and minimal circulation of materials between libraries.
Note: For help with placing holds, you can call Information & Reference at 715-839-5004 to leave a message, email email@example.com, or start a chat session with library staff.
If you have questions about or need suggestions for children’s materials, call 715-839-5007 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Scheduling Material Pickup
After placing a hold, you will receive an email or a phone message stating your items are ready for pickup. You must then call 715-839-5066 to schedule a pickup time and pickup station assignment.
Appointments will be made in 10-minute slots, Monday–Saturday, up to five business days in advance. We will provide directions on pickup procedure (communicating with you directly). You will be assigned a specific lane and a specific cart to use during pickup (labeled by color and animal). Complete pickup steps are outlined below.
Please carefully follow our directions to ensure your safety and the safety of library staff. We are following recommended guidelines, which include wearing masks and gloves, proper hand washing, and sanitizing work spaces and equipment.
Note: Once you have scheduled a pickup time, your materials will be marked as checked out, even if you haven’t picked them up yet.
Picking Up Materials
Wait to be called. Library staff will contact you directly by phone.
IMPORTANT: If you are feeling unwell, or experience any COVID-19 symptoms, please call 715-839-5003 to cancel your pickup time.
1. During your pickup time, enter the library’s Lower Level parking area off Dewey Street. If you arrive prior to your time slot, please wait at street level.
2. Follow the cones and signs. There will be two lanes (designated by color), each with two pickup stations (designated by animal). Follow the directions you received from library staff and proceed to your preassigned station.
3. Pull up alongside the pickup cart. (No need to park in a parking space as this will only take a few seconds.)
4. One person may exit the vehicle and retrieve materials. (You will not be asked to show your library card number or proof of identification.) Verify the holds alias* and your pickup time on the attached slip of paper to confirm they are your materials.
*The holds alias is a code with the first two letters of your last name, first two letters of your first name, and month and day of birth. For example, Jesse Johnson born on May 8 would be JOJE0508.
5. Place your materials in your vehicle, and then sanitize your hands using the hand sanitizer next to the cart before returning to your vehicle.
6. Continue pulling forward, following the cones out of the parking lot.
7. When returning home with your materials, we recommend placing materials in quarantine for 72 hours (3 full days) and following proper handwashing protocols after handling the materials.
If you are late for your appointment or need to cancel, please contact customer services at 715-839-5003.
Dropping Off Materials
For everyone’s safety, please keep your materials until the library reopens. All due dates are extended until the library reopens. If you must return materials, library drop boxes around the city of Eau Claire are now open on an alternating schedule. Please follow special instructions posted on each box. Use only open boxes for drop off. Closed boxes will remain in quarantine for at least 72 hours before we can retrieve the materials inside.
Special Family Resources
Our Youth Services division has launched a special pickup service for area families. This service is separate from the normal holds/pickup procedure outlined above (which you must still use to checkout materials), and it uses a different process. Learn more here.
Special resources available from Youth Services will include meal bags of non-perishable food provided by Feed My People Food Bank, Summer Library Program materials, craft supplies, and more.
We greatly appreciate your support and patience as we work to ensure safe and convenient operating procedures!